Thursday, September 20, 2007

Ms. Profenno's Reflections from "Day 1" = Wednesday 9/19 and Thursday 9/20

Check back later to read my reflections - I have lots to comment on and I will be adding bit by bit as I get spare moments.

1) One very important observation I see is that not all of the students in each class are posting. There are several reasons why this may be the case. First, what I know. Second, what I think. Lastly - Today, while you are in class - I would like everyone in the class to work together and help each other have the opportunity to post in class by

1st - not going to the computer until you are ready to post, and
2nd - typing your post efficiently (as quickly as you are able) and then getting off the computer to let the next student type

What I can do for you is assign each person to a specific computer and a posting time. But, I would rather not do this. I think that you can govern yourselves and use common sense and respect to type your answer and then go and do something else.

Once everyone has posted at least once, if you would like to post a second comment, that is fine. I really enjoy reading your long posts.... and I want to make sure that I can read a post by everyone, not just from the people that got to the computers first.

First, what I know:
I know that during 8th period on 9/17 the internet servers went down and only 2 posts got through.
I know that I messed up and blocked people from posting comments during 1/2 of the Per 3 and Per 5 classes on 9/20 so some students did not have the ability to post.
I know that some students made behavior choices that excluded them from posting priviledge in some classes
I know that some students were honest and told me they did not do their home learning but they posted to say hi

Second, what I think:
I think that some students did not use their time wisely and the bell rang before they got to the computer
I think that the students who are good at typing may have spent longer periods at the computer to type more, causing other students to not have any time to get on a computer (there are only 5 in the room!! Please be curteous)
I think that some students posted twice or three times before all the students got at least one post
I think that some students feel shy about typing and feel a lot of stress about the requirement to type in class
I think that some students feel shy about typing in English, Spanish, Creole, French or any language that is comfortable for them
I think that maybe some of the more outgoing students and computer-loving students used computer-possessive body language, meaning that as long as they were sitting at the computer typing, other students would not come over and ask them to leave.

The computer is not to be used as a social activity. Most of you have not abused this priviledge of blogging. I have seen, however, that a few of you have. The computer, in my classroom, is a LEARNING TOOL, and right now, I ALONE will decide what sites you can go to for the next week. Those three sites are posted right on the computer's forehead. Take note. Also, each person has no longer than 4 minutes to post. THEN GET UP AND GO DO ANOTHER PART OF CLASSWORK. Know what you are going to write BEFORE you get there. This is why I am having you write out the posts as Home Learning assignments prior to class. They are only required to be one sentence each. If you have not prepared your Home Learning, then you can blog to tell me that.

I will be evaluating you for the next class period to see if as a class, we can improve the percentage of class that blogs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay so you never answered mah question or statement
In are bio class period 7 we dont have workshets and in cisco we dont have work 2 do ??????????

Anonymous said...

nevermind about per 7 bio class

miami7151 said...

0236109 - I'm sorry I did not see this post here until now. As I am new to this blog stuff, I am on the learning curve and I've run into some technological hangups (which have helped me to learn a lot).

Thanks for helping out at the end of period 2. I really appreciate your willingness to assist.

Anonymous said...

hi ms.profenno how are you today me iam fine just doing the abiotic factor that you gave us my habitat ia animals insects in plants that can reproduce again in another habitat is to find different kinds of rocks and different kinds of soil so that plants can produce

 
Creative Commons License
Miami 7151 Blog by Rebekka Stone is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.